Recruiting and selecting staff is an essential part of building teams in any organization. In this article, we share important tips and good practices for recruitment and selection.
Basic prerequisites for recruitment
- 1. Recruitment and selection should not be considered in isolation, but in the context of the overall plan and program for personnel management in the organization.
- 2. To consider not only the technical competence but also whether the members will be integrated into the cultural and social structure of the organization.
- 3. To comply with all legal requirements, which ensures fair and equal treatment of all candidates.
Recruitment stages (key activities):
- 1. Determining the free space.
- 2. Description of the position.
- 3. Requirements profile (staff specification) +
- 4. Advertising in the workplace, whether inside or outside the organization.
- 5. Compilation of a shortlist of suitable candidates.
- 6. Interviewing with the candidates.
- 7. Sending letters to the unsuccessful candidates with gratitude that they have appeared and to the successful ones with the respective proposals. Reference: “Methods of personnel selection for HR managers“, https://www.mu7club.com/methods-of-personnel-selection-for-hr-managers/
Note: ways of advertising (when looking for candidates outside the company) with advantages and disadvantages (I will not list them to save space – VV):
- (a) by advertising in a newspaper (most commonly used);
- b) search in educational institutions through advertisements in universities, schools, and specialized centers;
- c) through personal contacts;
- d) through the Labor Offices;
- (e) through recruitment intermediaries.
Recommendations regarding the ad: put yourself in the place of the applicant and imagine what you would like to read if you are looking for a job. The announcement must contain: information about the company and the subject of activity; for the main part of the work; for the obligatory requirements for the candidate; for the benefits (benefits) offered by the organization (remuneration, training, development opportunity), through them may be interested high professionals who know the price; a specified way to contact the company (phone and/or exact address is better or mailbox number, which creates internal tension and irritation, because it is very impersonal).
“The announcement is like a door” – the more it opens, the more candidates there will be, and the more demands it makes, the more the “door” closes. Most often, the ad is formed in a square, which includes the logo.
Criteria for optimal layout: 1) size, consistent with the job position; 2) optically better appearance of the ad (“to catch the eye”); 3) the title of the position should be in bold (bold); 4) the announcement should be highly informative; 5) to have an intriguing text; 6) be a more juicy phone number or exact contact address.
Stages (phases) of personnel selection
Stage 1 – Information about vacancies
They are announced through the press, newsletters, personal and professional contacts, announcements in the Employment Bureaus, etc. Include information on 1) job title; 2) primary requirements of the employer (profession, length of service, qualification, age, sex, etc.); 3) place and term for submission of documents. Reference: “Analysis of the work of employees in the organization“, https://customer-service-us.com/analysis-of-the-work-of-employees-in-the-organization/
Stage 2 – Examination of documents
It is determined which candidates will be admitted to the in-depth study. If there is more than one candidate, a positive selection is made, followed by a ranking. If the candidate is one, a negative selection is made (for the contraindications). At this stage, some of the candidates may drop out.
Stage 3 – Survey of candidates
Candidates approved from the second stage are notified in advance to appear for an interview (or other procedure). The survey usually begins with an interview. Reference: “Project Manager and HR Specialist interview questions with examples”, https://phron.org/project-manager-and-hr-specialist-interview-questions-with-examples/ (phron.org, 2020)
You need to learn things from the past, present, and plans for the profession, to provide information about pay, development opportunities, and more. The motivation and expectations of the candidate must be established. The external appearance, the appearance, the culture of behavior are also observed. And at this stage, many people may drop out.
Stage 4 – In-depth study
Each commission determines its selection methods (according to the required qualities) and conducts research.
Stage 5 – Final interview
Applicants are told how they did it (usually everyone is encouraged). They are told that they will additionally receive an announcement as to which of them will be appointed (once the general opinion of the commission for each candidate has been established).
Note: In professional selection, a person is usually examined in statics (at some point), and this is often unfavorable for him. Therefore, the conditions that have contributed to its development are analyzed.